Restless Leg Syndrome (Willis-Ekbom) Health And Wellness
Willis-Ekbom Disease, more commonly known as Restless Leg Syndrome or RLS, affects the nervous system. RLS causes uncomfortable sensations in the legs with an unstoppable urge to move them to make it stop. Many physicians classify RLS as a neurological sensory disorder and can lead to insomnia. Lack of sleep effects the sufferers whole body and takes over their life.
The cause of restless leg syndrome has evaded scientific research, doctors are still struggling to find the root cause which makes it difficult to treat. Doctors try a variety of RLS treatments until they discover what works best for each patient, but the side effects of those treatments can be severe. Some suggested causes could be:
- Primary RLS may have a genetic component and is passed down through family members, this was found after seeing multiple members in the family having the same syndrome.
- Secondary RLS. appears as a symptom of an undiagnosed health condition such as anemia, heart palpitation and kidney failure.
- RLS can be linked to the chemicals in a body such as dopamine and glutamate. Dopamine plays a role in movement and glutamate affects arousal.
- RLS can be the side effects of certain medications.
RLS symptoms may be mild or utterly intolerable. People with RLS often experience many of the following symptoms:
- Painful cramping in leg muscles, generally in their calves.
- A troublesome sensation of bugs crawling up and down their legs. Feels like insect crawling all over your legs.
- Tingling, itching, burning, crawly, or throbbing sensations in their legs thats experienced when either sitting or lying.
- Feeling like the blood vessels in their legs are full of sparkling water.Fizzy sensation experienced in the blood vessels.
- An overwhelming need to move their feet and legs. An urge to keep moving the feet and it does not stop.
RLS affects more than just how long a person sleeps at night. Not getting enough sleep has serious health consequences. Daily activities become a burden when the suffer can’t operate at full capacity. Their immune system also takes a hit making RLS sufferers more prone to illness. A lack of sleep can cause weight gain and other issues like diabetes and obesity. Managing restless leg syndrome poses a challenge when doctors know so little about its causes. The continual lack of sleep and negative effects associated with RLS can make finding any relief seem impossible. Especially when treatment plans are difficult to develop and medications effect everyone differently. Many of the medications doctors prescribe for RLS come with their own nasty side effects. Opioids, benzodiazepines, and anti-seizure drugs dull the creepy-crawling sensations but can be dangerous or lose their effects when taken long-term.
RLS and CBD Oil
Cannabidiol (CBD) Oil reportedly seems to work well in treating RLS. CBD is one of many compounds found in the hemp plant and does not get the user “high”. CBD Oil offers symptom relief to people suffering from chronic pain, inflammation, seizures, spasms, anxiety, and more. Since CBD Oil can directly affect the body’s nervous system, it has the potential to relieve the symptoms of many different neurological disorders like RLS. Studies show that CBD Oil acts as a powerful sleep inducer that allows chronic pain sufferers to get a full night’s sleep.
Some doctors stated that RLS could come from an imbalance in the bodies dopamine and glutamate, then using CBD Oil impacts those components. RLS sufferers with severely disrupted glutamate levels often complain the most about lack of sleep. CBD Oil may actually help to enhance glutamate signaling to lessen symptoms. CBD Oil also impacts dopamine, increasing the amount of the neurotransmitter in a sufferers brain. Stabilizing dopamine levels appears to minimize the involuntary movements.
CBD Oil is a strong muscle relaxant and calms nerves that ease the discomfort of restless legs. CBD Oil can be taken orally under the tongue before bed or applied topically to the legs. CBD Oil may offer RLS sufferers one of the best ways to effectively manage their symptoms without negative side effects.
Please click HERE to contact me with any questions you may have.
Pure. Potent. Effective.